These are things that you might not realize you can also enjoy as a host family!
- Affordable cost. The weekly cost of hosting an au pair is just $350. And that’s per family not per child. If your au pair works 45 hours per week, your hourly cost comes to just $7.80 an hour. Many babysitters charge at least twice that much!
- Exposure to a different culture. Au pairs come from all over the world, and they bring their language and customs with them. Some au pairs help their host children to speak another language fluently; others simply share recipes, songs and holiday traditions with your entire family. It’s a great way to learn about the world.
- Help with laundry, meals and room pick-up. Au pairs can help with household duties related to the children. It is so nice to come home and be able to PLAY with your kids instead of worrying about what they were going to eat or wear the next day.
- Date night. Au pairs can work up to 45 hours per week. And the best part is that they work on schedule you decide. If you still have extra hours leftover before the weekend, use them on a Saturday night so you and your spouse can enjoy dinner and a movie. When was the last time you did something like that without worrying about the hassle of finding and paying for a babysitter?
- Lifelong friendships. The relationship you build with your au pair often lasts long after your au pair returns home. Gaining an extended family that spans the globe is more rewarding than you can imagine!
For more information on unexpected benefits watch my Au Pair Answer Mom video.