- There is no magic formula to determine how many hours you should be spending together each week.
- Host families should invite their au pairs to participate in family events that take place on a regular basis — family meals, movie nights, and weekend activities.
- Families should also invite their au pairs to celebrate holidays with their family and extended family.
- What you invite her to do beyond holidays and family events is up to you but it is always nice to include her as much as possible. This will vary by au pair and family depending on personality and interests.
- Be sure to make time to sit down each week with your au pair to discuss how the previous week went, what’s on the agenda for the upcoming week and just to catch up.
For more good advice about spending time with your au pair, watch my Au Pair Answer Mom video.