he very first International Women’s Day was celebrated over 100 years ago, in 1909, and since then, the world has been celebrating the accomplishments and driving reform for women’s rights each year on March 8th.
In recognition of International Women’s Day, thousands of events are held throughout the world to inspire women and celebrate achievements. Here are ten ways you can celebrate International Women’s Day in your community:
- Attend an event promoting women’s health, equality or safety
- Make a donation to an organization that provides education for girls
- Visit your local library and check out a book on women’s history
- Register to vote
- Go to see an exhibit or performance of a woman artist
- Support a program that provides business training for women in developing nations
- Ask a woman from another country about women’s challenges, prospects and achievements in her home nation
- Mentor a young woman
- Recognize women you know who are making a difference in the lives of their children, their peers, their students, or their community
- Thank a woman who has had a positive influence in your life
What will you do to celebrate today? What women are most influential in your life? What woman can you impact as a positive role model? Let us know in the comments section!